I will never forget an accident that happened in my own childhood. When I was a boy of twelve, something
happened to me that made me never put any ______ in a cage.
We lived on the edge of a______ in South Carolina, and every evening many mockingbirds would come and rest
in the trees and sing. There isn’t any sound that can be ______than the song of the mockingbird. I liked
listening to the singing of the mockingbird very much.
I decided to catch a young bird and keep it in a cage, and in that way, I could have my own ________.
I finally caught one and put it in a cage. The bird was_______ and fluttered (拍翅) about the cage, but
finally it became quiet in its new home. I felt pleased with _______and looked after my little musician
On the second day, the bird’s mother flew to the cage with ______ in her mouth. The baby bird ate up she
brought. I was _______ to see this. Certainly his mother knew better than I how to feed her baby.
The following morning when I went to see how my little bird was, I found it on the floor of the cage, dead.
I was very surprised! What had happened! I had taken great ______ of the little bird, or so I thought.
Arthur Wayne, a famous scientist, happened to be in the forest where we lived at the time. Hearing me
crying over the______ of my bird, he told me what had happened. “A mother mockingbird, finding her young in a
_______, will sometimes bring it poison food. She thinks it better for her young to _______ than to live in a
_____ I never catch any birds or put them in a cage. All the birds have the right to _______ in the sky .
1. A. birds B. mice C. cats D. rabbits
2. A. river B. forest C. city D. sea
3 . A. more beautiful B. less terrible C. worse D. noisier
4. A. bird B. pet C. musician D. pleasure
5. A. lucky B. silent C. kind D. frightened
6. A. yourself B. myself C. herself D. himself
7. A. her tongue B. poison C. a branch D. food
8 . A. the branch B. her tongue C. everything D. her mother
9. A. pleased B. angry C. frightened D. sorry
10. A. place B. rest C. picture D. care
11. A. death B. cage C. food D. health
12. A. house B. bag C. cage D. box
13. A. flee B. die C. sing D. fly
14. A. Soon after B. Since then C. Just then D. Long ago
15. A. jump B. run C. fly D. walk
答案：1-5、ABACD 6-10、BDCAD 11-15、ACBBC